This is the first time I am going to have to change the format of the round-up very slightly. I am posting this, as usual, on 8am GMT, on Saturday. I know that many of you are waiting with bated breath for tonight’s episode 8 of Hannibal season 3 when it will air in the US. However, Canada already had the pleasure of seeing Armitage make his entrance as Francis Dolarhyde – and hence tumblr is overflowing with gifs and pics from the show. So, in order to avoid any spoilers, I am going to split this week’s round-up. The first part shall consist of spoiler-free Armitage-related tumblr posts (including those which are based on what has been shown to the public already in the two Red Dragon trailers). while the second half will feature anything that relates to ep. 08. And yes, I can tell because I have already seen the episode.
I am deliberately stalling with my review/comments because I am aware that the majority of people haven’t watched it yet and want to come at it without having read other people’s opinion. So if you want to experience The Great Red Dragon untainted and virginally, then do not read past my spoiler warning. Also, I am adding a few spoiler-free words at the end, giving you my impression on whether it is “safe” to watch this episode of Hannibal in case you are a horror and gore virgin like myself…
I think we owe the Red Dragon
awe a new round-up banner:
- nfcomics knows what Guy wants – is that just *her* point of view???
- Did you notice the extra-tight waistband of Dolarhyde’s briefs? I think gimmethehobbit is right. This could be currency
- Fuller knows best. And has absolutely no agenda. Yeah, right. Another fun cartoon by gimmethehobbit
- This isn’t new. But boy, that is such a beautiful hug, I can easily get lost in that fantasy. Thanks circusgifs!
PS: Is that Gary Fuller?
- Cro-gall has painted a very romantic – and Hannibalistic – Thorin
- When it comes to his promo work, Richard is admirable. I agree with this richardarmitage-confidential
- Redsirion doesn’t like waste. And neither do Guy-fans
- Have you seen sketchlavie’s drawings of Armitage’s eyes? Beautiful!
- Ezyoung says “behold a great dragon…” – cuuuuute
- Raymond de Merville as you haven’t seen him before. By Sinnaminie
- Riepu10 put those of Richard’s tweets in a set that reference the Red Dragon. Handy. Thanks!
- Remember that picture of RA holding the Taittinger bottle for the charity auction? Well, I thought it was a bit odd (due to lighting) but in this closely cropped version by jassy2101 it actually looks quite nice. There is a certain fragility and vulnerability in it that I did not notice before, and somehow that touches me
- Another guys-texts-from-last-night – always snarkily good
- Sihaya-the-desert-springtime has an instalment of “Famous men reading” – featuring you-know-who… He really has beautiful book-hands
- Beautiful Thorin fan-art by Norloth. Reminds me of Jim Fitzpatrick’s work
- Hahahaha, looks as if murmil captured a bit of a Gary Fuller derp moment
- Murmil reminds us that it’s not that easy baring all (hm, just noticed that second gif is by circusgifs as per watermark…)
- If you want to get behind the campaign to save Hannibal and tweet in concert with the Fannibals, please read these rules on hashtagging/trending by idontfindyouthatinteresting
- Francisdolarhyde has giffed the Post Mortem clip for your sock-and-stripes-loving pleasure
- Richard, check this out. We are NOT pre-condemning Dolly. In fact, Clematis70 makes a case for loving Dolarhyde – lol
And now SPOILER WARNING: The following links contain gifs, pics and fanart that is based on previously unseen material from ep 08.
- Fabulous close-up gif set by fringeofmadness of Dolarhyde’s exercise scene. Disclosure: I stared at gif 2 – the belly button – for several minutes. Then I had to wipe up a puddle of drool. I think I have crossed *beyond* the fringe of madness… I also felt a strong sense of compassion for Richard being confined in that extra-tight waistband. Here, darling, let me loosen that for you…
- Combo of Dolarhyde gifs and text by clothedinthesxn
- Applefia2036 has HD screencaps of some pivotal scenes in ep 08
- An open letter by loethlin – I sign with extra xx to the DOP
- And just because you can’t have enough of HD disrobing goodness – gifset by boswaldcobblepot
- Pursuecrazylife puts a funny caption to a less than funny FD scene – rings pretty true to me, though
There – that’s enough for today. After all you need to keep a bit of drool at your disposal for later this evening *smirks*
[Edited to make my recommendation a bit clearer] Oh, just a last word to those of you who are yet undecided about watching The Red Dragon on Hannibal. Remember, I wrote a whole big sermon back in January on how I am a wuss and made myself read The Red Dragon by Thomas Harris in order to ease myself into the horror and gore of Hannibal? I won’t repeat myself except to say that I still have trouble looking at what Hannibal does, so I am as wussy as back then. But if you want my opinion now that I have seen Francis Dolarhyde’s debut, here it is: I came to episode 8 with a certain amount of trepidation – and with the mouse pointed at the pause-button, ready to exit at any given moment. I did not click once! From my perspective, the Red Dragon/Dolarhyde scenes are ok to watch and you need not worry. As Richard himself mentioned in the Hollywoodreporter Interview ” I found it [the murder scenes alluded to in the book] too disturbing and it was something that I wouldn’t want to depict on screen.” And so he did not. You will not see RA as FD killing. But you will see the scene of the crime to some extent, including blood. And you will see the crime enacted as if Will Graham is in Dolarhyde’s mind. My recommendation is to possibly watch the episode on a smaller screen, i.e. on your smartphone – easier to look away from, to shield, to ignore. Possibly also because *everything* is so small that you can’t make out the details. Unfortunately that will also apply to the tattoo’ed peaches, but well, win some, lose some 😉
Have a Great Red Dragon weekend – I look forward to hearing your opinions!