The pleasure of the lull is enveloping me. Yes, I actually quite like it when there is a so-called drought. Mind you, there was enough action this week, what with RA’s cheeky tweet. I wonder how he is doing with his German language coaching… I certainly look forward to hearing some uvular fricative Rs from him, and possibly some velar fricative CHs.
Sounds dirty? Look it up! 😀 They are, btw, the benchmark upon which it will be decided how good his coaching was. For a native English speaker, those sounds are extremely difficult to replicate – because they do not really exist in (Standard) English. I have full confidence in RA, though, because he is musical, and that will certainly help him first *hear* the sound, and then imitate it. Well, and maybe I shouldn’t expect too much. He’s not playing a German (despite the extremely German name of his character), so I’ll forgive him any possible slip-ups and reverting back to the alveolar R.
It’s no coincidence that I am taking a (rare) tangent to a German topic today, btw, for it is the German national holiday, the “Day of German Unity”. I am not a great admirer of my own country, and I abhor nationalism of any kind, and so I do not celebrate it as such. It marks the day when German reunification was officially ratified in 1990. A more significant date would have been the 9th of November – as in 1989 on that day “the wall came down” and the border between East and West Germany was opened, hence clearing the path to reunification. A number of other events that forcefully influenced German history happened on the 9th of November. In 1918, the “November revolution” sealed the fate of the German empire when the Kaiser was declared to have abdicated and Social Democrat Philip Scheidemann declared the republic in Berlin (beating Spartacist Karl Liebknecht to it). In 1923, the “March on the Feldherrenhalle” in Munich, a Nationalist putsch, was thwarted. In 1938, the “Crystal Night” was a pogrom against the Jews when the synagogues were burnt down and many Jews arrested. The latter event made the day unsuitable as the German national holiday – it would have been cynical to celebrate a new Germany on a day that was the beginning of the most deplorable era of our history. And so it is on the nondescript 3rd of October that Germany marks its reunification.
There, history lesson over. And now let’s entertain ourselves with the creativity and wit of the RArmy. Here’s what I found on tumblr this week:
- Armitage goes autumn. A number of Armitage icons by shieldmaidenicons with which you can Halloweenize your Social Media avatars
- A richardarmitageconfession that many of us may be able to subscribe to
- Nice little scenario that mindofelizabeth suggests with this gif
- I am with iriarty. Hope I won’t be too critical…
- Adorable take on Richard’s German man fight tweet by ezyoung
- thorin-baconshield has compiled Richard’s references to his beloved car
- OMG, circusgifs has effectively killed me with this gif set. Nipplitage alert. Approach with caution!
- Too good to leave out part 2 of Nipplitage, courtesy of circusgifs
- A photo of RA watching his appearance on Hannibal with Martha DeLaurentiis and Bryan Fuller. Via jassy2101. Not sure whether I had seen that before
- Onthekarmapaymentplan has discovered a new Yankee Candle marketing thingie, and she adds “You know what that means” – yes, we do *frantically surfs to website and orders*
- Have you watched Richard’s turn in the Miss Marple mystery “Ordeal of innocence”? Kyh-bc has made a bookmark
- And here are two for “Strike Back”, also by kyh-bc
- Sinnaminie has got a new product – the sinna-minis. A-do-ra-ble. And there is a whole gaggle of them
- It’s been a while since I linked to one of triple-r-porn’s stories. NSFW. Gary Fuller
- Not sure if I have seen Richard being made up for the Crucible photo shoot before. Set shared by richard-crispin-armitage
- A re-post by mezzmerizedbyrichard of a very sweet moment of fan interaction. Worth looking at again!
- A new masterpiece by anastasium. Sighworthy Guy
- LOOOOOL – oh, cod, I laughed so hard at this gif by keep-calm-and-support-richlee
- Awwww *sounds of women cooing*, look at this drawing of the dwarves welcoming little Fili into the world… by ofahattersmind
- Momentum is gathering for a revolution in the RArmy. This opinion has been voiced more and more frequently in recent weeks. Richard, hark up what richardarmitage-confidential says…
- I shouldn’t laugh about this, but I did snort, so here’s guys-texts-from-last-night’s latest
- Bagginsshield lover or not, I liked the sweetness of it and yamcat’s graphic style
- Although I love redeemable Guy, this edit by gisbxrne somehow hits me
- And I will leave you with this little cartoon by mjoyart which will make you smile
Have a lovely weekend, all!
[Edited to rectify mistakes]