The busiest weekend of the year. Tomorrow is the first of advent, which means that decorations have to be up – and copious amounts of traditional German Christmas biscuits have to be ready. Guess who is leaving it to the last minute? Yeah, me. So I am writing this with greasy fingers between the mixer and the fridge, while waiting for the shortcrust pastry to rest and be ready.
And then I get distracted by an interview of our favourite guy, which is causing a bit of a stir. I read some people are very disappointed, being seen as a paying patron rather than an appreciated fan. It’s a tough one, isn’t it? Is his answer an admission that he is sees the SD as a calculated bonus to manipulate fans (into buying tickets)? And that he is going through the motions of it, motivated by commercial interests, rather than the sincere wish to meet his fans? Depends on where you put the emphasis yourself. When I read the passage in the interview, that wasn’t quite what I took from it. Rather than the “whatever it takes [to get people to pay the price of a ticket]”, what stood out for me was the sentence “You know, we’ve had people come from far and wide, which is great.” For me, that was the acknowledgment by RA that he is well-aware of the effort people/his fans are making to see *him* on stage, in New York, and the SD is a way of both showing his gratitude, as well as attracting the potential audience to the box office.
Those two things – SD to promote commercial success of the play and to reward the fans – seem inseparable to me, in any case. As fans, we *do* buy tickets. And since a SD attracts fans, it is thrown into the mix, even though it is not something that is high on the list of Armitage’s priorities and favourite things to do. Simultaneously it is an opportunity to give back to fans what they want – by creating a scenario in which they can “meet” him
ever so shortly within the parameters that he himself is setting. I’ll be honest here for one moment. I did not have the impression that the SD is something RA hugely enjoys, but that he sees it as part of his job as an actor with a following, as a concession he makes to give back to his fans, as a duty rather than a pleasure. (This impression is based on the short duration of the SD and the minute star-fan interaction that rarely goes beyond signing a playbill and posing for a selfie.) Not sure whether he can be faulted for taking the SD as a professional rather than a private engagement, though. a) His success and bankability as an actor *does* depend on the seats his plays/films sell and b) his willingness to appear at the SD on *most* nights shows an awareness of celebrity culture and the role that fans play in the entertainment business. I don’t think that this professional attitude excludes genuine appreciation of the attention gifted to him by his fans. His way of showing appreciation may not be what we expect it to be. But if he didn’t care about having fans, he wouldn’t reply to fan requests or attend the SD. Personally and as a fan, I would of course like him to consciously enjoy meeting *us* as much as *we* enjoy meeting him. To see us as people not patrons. And I’d like him to express his undying love and gratitude for his fans more explicitly and frequently, preferably to me, in person, and every day *grins*. But my expectations may be a bit high in that regard… I just choose to think that as a fan, I marginally touch his existence with my attention and my paying power. But I touch it, nonetheless…
After the pontification, here is the gratification. This week’s Tumblr Best. Enjoy and peace!
- Customary at this point: another picture summary of BS by drldeboer, this time episode 6
- Ausschweifendemotte has captured a heart-breaking stare courtesy of Daniel Miller in BS
- Ofgreengables has giffed a few intense Miller-scenes in episode 6, too
- Mezzmerizedbyrichard takes us back to Berlin. Without Station. But with a lovely scene of RA on the red carpet. He holds promises…
- Icy blue eyes in Chechnya. Guess who? Capped by ausschweifendemotte, too
- More intense Miller. Spied by kendaspntwd
- Another spy – but an entrance that remains unmatched. Lucas North. Circusgifs. Old but nice to remember
- Tight green jumper, layer look, tighty denims. Capped in a set by queenoferebor1204
- Domestic sweetness with Bagginshield, drawn and thought up by rutobuka2
- This Thorin watercolour by rutobuka2 somehow really moves me
- And here is something to cancel out selfish father Kenneth. Sigh – agent Porter makes me quake, but father Porter makes me positively SWOON. Another oldie but goldie giffed by circusgifs
- The controversial accent question makes richardarmitageconfessions this week. What is your opinion?
- I always love getting a look at other fans’ collection of RAvotionalia, or the decoRAtion of their rooms. Fizzy-custard allows us a glimpse of her majestic wall
- We’ve seen queenoferebor1204’s caps of Daniel before (see above), but this time she adds some quips. LOL. Apt!
- Note: rasexualfrustration has a new mod. For anyone who is looking for a place to publish their RA-related fics
Choose love, not disappointment!
Have a nice weekend,