Where has this week gone? Sometimes time passes so quickly.
Or is that what happens once you pass that magic 5-0 threshold? I suspect in my case it was actually two things – the excitement over RAnet, as well as my renewed crafting obsession. The two are closely linked. Before I get to this week’s round-up, a quick…
I’ve been busy behind the scenes trying to get some first insights from experts on the technicalities of migrating RAnet. No decisions have been taken yet, as they will be discussed with Ali first. However, the feedback I have received so far from various sources, is that a migration will be possible. That’s good news. – Since there were discussions on the previous post on the topic, I’d like to assure those of you who were worried that the migration might result in losing parts of RAnet, that the aim is to migrate the site *in its entirety*. If one or more parts of the site have become defunct due to outdated software, all attempts will be made to transfer and include the affected content as archival items and replace the dysfunctional features so that the service can be continued, yet the old contents are also saved. I fully take the concern onboard that *every* part of the existing website is valuable *to someone*, and that it is a mark of respect to Ali to preserve her work and her ideas. I’ll keep you updated as we move forward.
And now for the Saturday fun
It’s time for a new round-up header. In keeping with my usual MO, here is Richard’s next role.
- Sometimes you don’t need many words, as tsohi’s post proves. Indeed
- Last week’s Halloween brought up a few great posts. Here is one of riepu10’s Halloween series. I particularly liked the detail of the blue veins in this edit
- Richardarmitagefanpage screen shot a conversation between Joy Ellis and fan Maria after Richard posted about his ‘interview’ with Ellis while recording at Audible. Good news for all Jackman/Evans fans
- Grey-s has painted Monet
- I saw a few moodboards this week on tumblr. I particularly liked this one by fizzyxcustard – the purple hues are really beautiful
- I am dedicating this one to Kate, re. “wet shirts”. Thanks to fizzyxcustard for that little quip underneath
- A Thorin edit by mmirzasworld
- Quiz: Who is the odd one out in this compilation by notthatmelody?
- This one is for Zee… Pirate!Thorin by a now defunct tumblr called jadedsilk, via fizzyxcustard
- Continuing with the Thorin fan art theme, here is Thorin as an IT guy. 😂 Yes, you have read that right… Kind of convincing. Posted by thewarriorandtheking
- And finally sexy blacksmith!Thorin by maivolchica as per thewarriorandtheking. Is it hot in here or is he sizzling?
- I take it this is What a Guy Wants *prior* to being saved by a pure and angelic maiden?? By nfcomics
- “The slow smirk eye fuck combination of Guy of Gisborne”. Just quoting notthatmelody here…
- And because 13 is an awkward number, here a little Gisborne compilation courtesy of kendaspntwd
Hope you had some fun with this.
Lastly, just a quick little word to the day that’s in it today. 9th of November, a fateful day in German history. Focussing on the positive, 30 years ago, today, the unthinkable happened. Following an unscripted, possibly unintended reply to a journalist’s question in a press conference, the East German authorities opened the border crossing points in the evening of November 9. I was a young student at that time, just having moved 500 kilometres South to study in Würzburg. I shared a flat with two young girls who attended the local school for interpreters. It passed us by that history was being written that evening. It was only the next day that we found out that East Germany had opened their borders. One of my flat mates had a functioning telly, and the three of us gathered in front of it in the evening, watching with open mouths how freedom will always find a way… Late on Thursday night, thousands had already passed the border in Berlin. We saw images of a large mass of people marching onto the checkpoints, the barriers eventually went up, people streamed into West Berlin. There were scenes of joy as East Berliners stepped on West Berlin territory, and even for me, a girl raised in the West who had only experienced the dictatorship in the East on three short visits, the significance of this momentous day was immediately clear. I still get goosebumps when I see the footage of that day. For a little more background and the chronology of the events, check this English language clip.
So yes, I think today is a day to celebrate. 30 years. It brings back to me how precious and coveted freedom is. I fear that we are on the cusp of losing it again. It’s only the people themselves who can defend their freedom. Wir sind das Volk.
Have a lovely weekend, all!
PS: Are you a Dreamerfiction member? I just read in Zeesmuse’s latest blog post that there may be changes afoot on the fan fiction platform for all fics Richard Armitage. Please take a moment to vote in the poll and comment.