Today I did a bit of an Astrov.
I donated two trees to a reforestation project. The reason: The huge ash tree in our garden, as well as another large ash tree in the yard of our mews, had to be felled. Both trees had the ash tree disease which is currently killing all ash trees in Ireland. There unfortunately is no cure for these lovely old trees. We have known for a while that they were both affected but had simply not had the heart to chop them down. But then in the last storm, a huge branch broke off the ash in our garden. Luckily it did not drop on the mews or the cars in the car park next door, or even a human. But it meant that it was now time to call the tree surgeon.
And so two 80-year-old ash trees were cut down yesterday and today. I felt like crying. These trees are just so lovely, provide shade and green in the summer, create oxygen for us, and simply make our city centre garden a true oasis. Now the view from my kitchen window feels somewhat naked and empty. We will definitely plant a couple of trees again. But this time something more suitable for an urban garden. The ash trees were really too big (although they were a delightful view: even from our bedroom on the top floor – 4 storeys over basement! – we could see the foliage). But taking a leaf out of Dr Astrov’s book, we’ll choose something that will be there for the generations after us.
Any excuse to drop a few Astrov pics, right?
And now on to the weekly round-up.
- Just because this b/w edit of Mr Thornton is so classically beautiful. Posted by byronianblues
- Look at that!!! Now & Then has gone into pre-production! Good news! Found by richardarmitagefanpage
- And another post by richardarmitagefanpage, containing a soundbite of Richard voicing Rassilon in the Dr Who audio
- ooooh, Raybo is angry. Gifs by riepu10
- Oh. Hot? I didn’t spot that. Comment by timeladyjamie
- LOL – this is included more for the caption than the actual pictures. But yeah, like a boss is right. Posted by thewarriorandtheking
- Didn’t know that Richard was that much into cycling. However, I am not surprised that he elicited double-takes on his bike. Even from ruminants. Gif set by riepu10
- *coughs* *um* Yeah, I needed that closer look, gratiously cropped by thewarriorandtheking
- Here is an interesting argument why Guy’s and Marian’s relationship is so compelling. By buildarocketboys
- I totally snorted at this instalment of What a Guy Wants by nfcomics. Simply, but rather funny
Ten – I leave it at that as I am also still working on the fundraiser prep. I have taken more pictures today, and have received images from crafter/contributor Armidreamer. I am now getting ready to draft the listings. Since there will be fewer in total, I may even be able to already create the listings as drafts *on* the platforms. (Ebay only allows a limited number.) That way it’ll only be “click & go” on Tuesday.
Hope you have a lovely first of advent weekend, all. I look forward to lighting the first candle of my advent wreath tomorrow.