My weekend has started great – with a message from a work colleague I missed yesterday. My contract with my current best client has been doubled. More work, and better pay. Hooray. That is great news as all freelancers among you will understand. While I have always appreciated the freedom and flexibility that freelancing allows me, the downside is the unreliability of income. Having a regular client for whom I write/translate 8 articles per month, means that I can rely on receiving work – and that I will get paid. After a period of uncertainty since the loss of my big client in 2018, this is a proper luxury. I know to appreciate that. Moreover, the new subject of my writing has turned out to be really enjoyable. What I also really like about this job is that I am collaborating almost exclusively with women! Of course, I work remotely, so do not have a regular 9-to-5 working in the office relationship with them. But so far the communication with them has always been positive, supportive and very personal. It’s a joy, and I feel very lucky.
Right, but before I get carried away with more waffle, let’s give you the round-up first. New “top hero” (main article illustration).
- Mezzmerizedbyrichard – whom I missed last week – has put together a set with sleeping Richard. Always so touching to see
- Happy belated birthday, astrovian. Have a look what she celebrated with. This really takes the biscuit – or should I say cake?
- Also by astrovian: Another chibi drawing. This time it’s Trevor Price. Hot like a smoking gun…
- Mininottingham is enjoying the sun. Go on, Gizzy, take off your leather!!!
- Riepu10 throws us back to Monet. I always had a thing for that scene where Monet holds the pencil between his teeth. Or maybe RA has a thing for grabbing things with his teeth? I’ll just say “gloves”
- Service announcement by richardarmitagefanpage for those of you not on Twitter
- And mininottingham again because – Giz and the giant flamingo 😂
- And what chaRActer drew *you* in? Post by colonelfitzwilliams
- Poor Guy. I mean, he must be perpetually exhausted with all that running… What a Guy Wants by nfcomics
- And another one from the same series by nfcomics because truth
- For anyone interested in Hobbit fan fic, here is a master list by ragsweas, all about Modern!AUs. I haven’t read them, so no idea about the quality, but just in case you need some summer reading
- Putting this here because I just think that fan art is such a cool thing. I mean, this particular ship would never in a million years occur to me. But I applaud the creativity of thinking and spinning the tale. Posted by outcastsnmagic
Hope there was something in there for you.
Back to my waffle. On the home front, it has become a little quieter in the house since Little Miss Guylty temporarily moved out into her basement flat. With college over for the summer (and no travel plans possible), she immediately put my suggestion of applying for summer jobs into action and got a full-time job working in a coffee shop. It’s her first regular job ever, and she has learnt that working 6am to 3pm every day is actually quite tough. The reason she has temporarily moved out (and is quite adamant about avoiding all contact with her parents), is that she has customer contact every day, and until her father’s vaccination has fully kicked in, she does not want to take any chances and potentially carry the virus to him. (I am already fully vaxxed and protected because I received the one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine four weeks ago.) That’s to her credit, but I miss her. She had become my companion on daily walks, and that meant we were able to chat and just be close. In that respect, the pandemic had been great (for me), extending the time that I have with my young adult daughter… Nevertheless, the great side effect of her job in the coffee shop is that she gets to bring home all the soon-out-of-date pastries and sandwiches she wants. Yum. [OMG, re-reading that it sounds as if I happily give up quality time with my daughter in return for a pastry. 😂 I mean, I love my food, but not *that* much…]
So, all good in Guylty Towers for the moment. Hope you are all well, too.
Have a great weekend,