I am just coming on briefly tonight to give you the promised update on the status of the planned but delayed fan-fronted auctions. The title of this blogpost already is a hint. As of yet, eBay is still considering my request for a raise of my selling limits, and I have not received a clear answer as to whether it will be granted or not.
For the sake of transparency, I’ll explain to you the particulars of the conversation with eBay. As promised, they did get in touch with me around late lunch time today. I am dealing with the German division of eBay (because that is where I apparently signed up to eBay way back in 2006), so the correspondence is in German and therefore doesn’t lend itself to a quick copy and paste job here. But these are the upshots:
eBay says: Since I (Sonja) am a private seller, it is not possible to raise my selling limits permanently. However, it is possible to make an exception and raise the limit for a period of 3 months. In order to make a decision on this exceptional raised limit, they need the sale value of the items I am planning to sell, and if possible the invoices for the items as proof of ownership.
My reply: The raised selling limit for a limited period of time is all I need, as I am not a commercial seller and only sell on eBay twice a year for the purpose of a charity fundraiser. I have sent them a list of the items earmarked for selling, including the starting bids for each item – h
ooray for my obsessive Excel sheet organisation. 😂 However, I have pointed out to them that since the auctions are for a charity fundraiser, final bids will most probably exceed the original value of the items – because bidders are willing to pay more since they are supporting a good cause. As for ownership proof, I do not have invoices as the items in question are a) donations made to me as the organiser of the fundraiser, and b) in many cases hand-made originals that are difficult to put a price on. However, I have also sent them the proof of donation from last year’s birthday fundraiser proceeds, hoping that they will see that I am not a fraudster but a private person who is raising funds for charity.
The eBay customer service agent was very friendly and pleased that I had written in detail. She has forwarded the documentation and my explanations to the relevant department. But since we are after end of business already, I think I won’t get a reply until tomorrow.
That’s where we are at *right now*. The delay, although upsetting my initial plans, may provide a little breather, as some of you have pointed out in the comments. And with a little more time between Guy’s jacket and *our* items, the latter can shine a bit more, too 😉. So that is actually good. If eBay still doesn’t want to raise my limits tomorrow, I will try a different route, so not all is lost yet 😁.
Let’s end this on a high, though. Or on a “high bid”, to be more precise.
That is where we are now, at time of posting, with Guy of Gisborne’s leather jacket. 😍 Thanks to the 19 bidders who have made 87 bids. We still have 44 hours of auction time ahead of us for the Guy jacket. It could get hot at the end 😉 .
More news tomorrow morning! Thanks for all your support and reassurance – you’re a wonderful bunch! 😍