At this point, the round-ups should be labelled “monthly” instead of weekly… It’s basically the last week of February and I haven’t done a round-up yet this month at all. Shame, shame.
I’ve got plenty of excuses, as always. If you haven’t noticed until now, I am really good at excuses. This week no exception. But seriously, I had the job from hell! Thursday before last I accepted a job from my client of long standing for whom I regularly translate company internals, promo materials and press coverage. This time it was employee interviews that had been filmed on video. Contrary to prior agreement, I had to transcribe the (German language) interviews and then translate them word-by-word into English. For any professional translators among you: Yes, I know that translators usually work “into” their mother-tongue, i.e. it is unusual that I am translating *from* German into English. However, it turned out that that was a blessing, because I am not sure how well a non-native speaker of German would’ve fared with those interviews. The accents, OMG, the accents… Anyway, the transIations were the least of my problem – I am a fast worker when it comes to that. But I had well and truly miscalculated how long it would take to transcribe audio text. Essentially, a 20 minute original took me *at least* two hours to transcribe, if not more. And with 20 interviews to transcribe, I had over 300 minutes to do. Add to that a particular format the client had requested, which required time-stamping and marking bits in bold… I’ll just say this: I worked non-stop for 6 days, doing 16-hour-shifts five days in a row. In the end, I missed my deadline by two full days. My client was very nice about it. In fact there were no recriminations at all; she was extremely happy to get the translations when she got them. But don’t forget – I am German. We have this built-in work ethic… Those “primary virtues”. For me, punctuality and keeping my promise are part of my brand. So, missing my deadline despite having promised to be ready, is something of a personal failure for me. I was really disappointed.
And disgruntled. Not least because I honestly and truly did not have a single moment of time to go to my happy place and continue my 2019 resolution of “A blog post a day keeps depression at bay”. Yet there is still so much to write about. A look at my blog topic list: “the other guests, the photo shoot + conundrum, the autograph session, the con experience, meeting other fans, self-censorship, volunteering/stewarding, conclusions about RA, fans + age, body language, the actual pro photos of me + RA”…
Ok no, don’t worry. I won’t. I’ll probably get this done very quickly in a couple of posts. Meanwhile, you can read it all on Kate’s blog, btw. She has launched into the first part of her RDC5 reviews!
So, in a reverse of my usual MO, a round-up post is actually quicker and easier today than the aforementioned RDS (Red Dragon Saga). I hadn’t been on tumblr for at least three weeks – and strangely, it kind of looks different to me. Have they had a redesign? Is the background colour darker? I am puzzled. But well, here, with a new header thanks to a derp from my own lens, here is the tumblr round-up 2019/5:
- Nfcomics on possible ways of killing Guy
- I had to look up what “twink” meant, but I am just leaving this here. Posted by lindirs-gaze
- No idea whether this is a new fan art, but I loved this edit by aninomori. Proctor is simply always worthy of showing…
- Fizzyxcustard was asked for their 6 favourite pictures of Thorin… that’s a nice game we could all play
- Has triple-r-porn rebranded itself? Anyway, here is a SFW fluffy drabble re. John Standring. For the days when you just need a bit of fluff
- bodysnatch3r talks about “that thing that Richard Armitage does with his eyes”. What do you think they are referring to?
- Riepu10 is still creating her “What in common” quizzes. Even if you don’t get it – just good for the yummy gifs!
- I love seeing the glimpses into other fans’ life – and collections ;-). Here is thewarriorandtheking
- Rcrispina is waiting for your prompts…
- Ra-of-light has been busy with a collection of collared RAs…
- This is such a good point made by hylaslurea. Just imagine!
- I missed all the Valentine’s fun. Sorry – but just for completeness’ sake, here are some of riepu10’s edits
- Oh, and especially for Kate, here is ra-of-light’s a star in stripes… (I’m getting suspicious!!! Are *you* ra-of-light, Kate????)
- I think this is an interesting quote from Richard, posted by gatissed. Discuss!
- Posting this picture set by c0rnflake-girl for the whole story… LOL
- Again, no idea what they have in common, but I like ogling them. Thanks for the set, riepu10
- I loved this photo idea, and I am glad that gatissed shared it. RA sort of with a flower crown at RDC5. Cool
- Ra-of-light has really been on a roll. Maybe she was watching BS? Cuddles…
- Another really nice pic from RDC5, posted by sparkle-inthedark
- Background RA is actually a thousand times more interesting than any foreground action! Once again, by riepu10
- A couple more pics of RA at RDC5 by sparkle-inthedark
- Thegentlegamster has some fantastic profile shots from RDC5
- Deepestfirefun with a meme on jealousy
- Oh, wow, I am scared now… A quote by RA on bullshit, shyness and being tall. Posted by tallian. (Again, would make a great topic to discuss!)
- Wow, here’s a truly original artwork. Richard, Proctoresque. By howlingwolfqueen. Love this!
- And finishing up on some hair acting! Oscar-worthy! Thewarriorandtheking
Wow, I have done it!!! I compiled a round-up! I thought I couldn’t do it anymore.
Have a nice weekend, all!