A little bit late today, as I am just back from what I like to call “doing the Armitage”.
Sadly, without eponymous Armitage there, of course. I was recording some German language exam practice dialogues. I do this every year, and it is great fun. However, it also always brings home to me, how difficult it must be two narrate an entire book. It sounds easy – you sit in a box, microphone in front of you, reading from a page. But it actually requires a lot of concentration: In order to read consistently, you have to be constantly aware of your speed and your enunciation. There is someone on the other side of the window who will stop you if you make a mistake, and then you repeat the sentence where you got muddled. But the aim is always to read as naturally as possible, and to do so without making mistakes that require a rewind. The most difficult thing, actually, is minimising all background noises. Moving the pages is one thing, but with 3,000 Euro microphones that pick up even the slightest growl of your stomach, you have to be quite still while you are reading. I can imagine that that must be extra hard for an actor like RA, who is *performing* rather than just monotonously reading a text. Yet, when you move your arms, you can sometimes hear the rustle of your clothes! Hence it became clear to me why RA always dresses casually (in jumpers and the like) when recording – and taking his shoes off. The big biker boots I was wearing today, occasionally creaked under the table when I moved my legs, that’s the extent of the noise sensitivity. – In any case, once you get into the flow, and the sentences smoothly fall from your lips, you really feel a rush of satisfaction. 62 pages of dialogue took us 5 hours today. And now think of Armitage, recording a massive tome of Dickens for an audio book… Impressive, I can only say. I do hope he is paid handsomely for his work. He really is a masterful audio performer, a skill that is very precious!
But now on to the round-up.
- I always have to snort a little bit when I see Richard using his middle finger to point or push up glasses. Here’s an old picture from a vlog by Sir Peter Jackson, posted by fizzyxcustard
- Anybody heard of The Lunar Chronicles mentioned by invisiblegirl-00
- This is what my daughter could be saying about me. Post by loracarol
- Oooh, I love the illustration that goes with deepestfirefun’s fan fic. You might want to look into the fic, too. (I haven’t read it, though)
- A sweet Bagginshield fan art by sodasacd
- Scroll down to see a nice Thorin gif made by ladybugg1235
- Hm, have we had this piece of fan art by thewarriorandtheking yet?
- And UNF, this is even more… eh… evocative. Also by thewarriorandtheking
- Twinkle, twinkle, little star… another edit by ladybugg1235
- Pragnificent writes about Dolarhyde’s and Reba’s approach to their love/relationship
- Catching up on a few What a Guy Wants by nfcomics
- And here’s another funny What a Guy Wants by nfcomics
Sorry, a short one. But in the spirit of the day, I’ll leave you with a little collage.
Have a nice weekend,