Ten days after school closures and enforcing of social distancing and working from home, our taoiseach (prime minister) Leo Varadkar spoke to the nation again last night. People in Ireland had been staying at home mostly over the last while, and the spreading of the virus had been slowed down a good bit. Apparently they had expected the number of infections to have risen to a five-figure number by now, but thanks to the cooperation of the people, Ireland at this point has “only” 2,100 (diagnosed) cases of infection and 22 deaths. However, the government has now decided to ramp up the restrictions and we are now in a lockdown. Only essential workers are allowed to travel. We must stay at home, except for shopping or for personal exercise. We are to go no further than 2km from our homes. Vulnerable people are asked to “cocoon” and stay in for the foreseeable future.
In this unprecedented situation, I actually find the Irish government very trustworthy and effective. Leo is doing a great job, and whoever is writing the speeches for him, is doing an even better one. “Freedom was hard won in our country, and it jars with us, to restrict and limit individual liberties, even temporarily. But freedom is not an abstract concept. We give it meaning every single day – in the way we live our lives – and in the decisions we take willingly to protect our loved ones. So I am asking people to give meaning to our freedom and liberty by agreeing to these restrictions. Restricting how we live our lives so that so that others may live. I am asking us for a time, to forego our personal liberties and freedoms for a greater cause. Tonight I am appealing to every man, woman and child in our country to make these sacrifices – not out of self-interest but for each other. To begin each day knowing that every single imposition, every inconvenience, every irritation will save lives and help our health service cope.” I’m in because I love this country and I love many people in this country. We will prevail!
It still feels like a somewhat scary dream to me. And I notice in myself that my feeling of safety is closely connected to the state of my pantry. 😂 And there are unexpected moments of amusement. When I tweeted last night that Ireland had tightened its lockdown, I was amused by the number of replies from different countries, telling me how “bad” it has been in their places and for how long. Lads, this isn’t a competition! 😂 There are no brownie points for having been in lockdown longer than Ireland. We are *all* in the same boat, no matter where we are, and there is no hierarchy of suffering. I think it’s fair to say that we are all struggling at this point, no matter which restrictions have been put into place by our respective governments.
On a personal level, today is a much better day than yesterday. I might need some advice from you, though. It seems that I am developing eczema on the back of my hand and my knuckles. I think it is due to the frequent and intense hand-washing, as well as the contact with cleaning products while deep-cleaning my kitchen. At this point it is a reddish, dry, wrinkly patch of skin. It’s not painful or itchy, but I can feel the skin “stretching”. Has anybody got experience with eczema and how are you dealing with the frequent hand-washing? Any advice on which kind of products to use?
Let’s move on to the weekly round-up that lightens the weekend. I had some feedback that some ladies found my round-up header hard to take (because it depicts Richard as Astrov in a play they never got to see). I have binned my already prepared, remaining headers and use a neutral photo instead.
- Massive nape curl alarm! Sir Guy from down below aside. Thank you, riepu10!
- That “family” was genius casting! Richardarmitagefanpage reposts a photo of lots of Price family photos taken by Jacob Dudman
- Not sure if I had linked to this already but if you need some reading material, there is a long Thorin fan fic here by theelvenvalkyrie. This is a link to chapter 28, but I am sure you can find back to the first chapter from there, too
- According to rcihardarmitagefanpage, Richard is now at #67 on IMDb
- Ahhhhhh, riepu10!!!!!!! This is the best gif set ever! Thank you for giffing the “family video scenes” from TS. In the show they went by so fast, I missed so many details. Now I have been able to watch this on loop. Kudos to Richard for being able to catch sweets with his mouth – or if that fails, with his drink. The biscuit scene, though, takes the biscuit!!!
- Seeing the original text superimposed on Mr Thornton forcefully striding through MIlton – I have to admit that I find this attractive and touching. Gif set by thatvermilionflycatcher
- *coughs* Another scene that passed all-too-quickly in the show… here you can see quite some detail. Riepu10’s gifs of a notorious scene in Marie Lloyd
- LOL, I have no trouble believing this about Guy. From What a Guy Wants by nfcomics
- And while we are at it: *khahahaha* – naughty thoughts there. I bet Guy wouldn’t disagree. Another quip by nfcomics
- If we have had this gif set by riepu10 before, I don’t care. It fulfils my smooching needs
- Random? No character appreciation post is random when it comes to Richard 😉. Posted by fizzyxcustard
- Omgopalsapphire has a point
- Drldeboer has screenshot another scene from TS
- This old post by yatanis might satisfy several kinks – muscles, Armpitage and WRP
- And lastly, thank you to mezzmerizedbyrichard for taking up the Distraction Challenge. Here is a link to question 2 of ADC
Tumblr also seems to have been given a make-over. It looked very slightly different when I navigated to the site today – with small icons illustrating the search list, and the search results now not preceded by a line of suggested blogs to follow. The individual search results turn up in a smaller feed now. The advantage is that you can actually display the search results like a feed – with each individual result appearing on a “time line”. That might prove useful. Tbh, I found the old design easier to get an overview of, but I am confident that I’ll get used to this new look, soon.
There we are. I hope you and yours are all well, and well-stocked. At least we have the internet to keep us entertained!
Stay home – stay safe!
Sonja 😷 “💋” 😷